The Zephyr Short Story Prize 2020
By participating in The Zephyr Short Story Prize (“Competition”), entrants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- Open nationwide to writers residing in New Zealand.
- Work must be original, previously unpublished fiction (including online publications) and not under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Stories should not be previously placed (i.e. winning or commended) in a competition. Stories may not be entered into another competition until after 31st October 2019.
- Limited to one entry per author.
- Judging will be blind; judges will not know the authorship of the stories.
- Members of the NZSA Wellington branch committee are not eligible to enter, although their family members may.
Submission and Fee
- Entries should be a double-spaced A4 document, the font Times New Roman 12 point. Pages must be numbered, and the title should head the first page and appear on all pages.
- The author’s name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript.
- Word limit is 1500 words (including title) for the Open section, 1000 words (including title) for the Junior section.
- Entries that do not conform to these instructions will not be considered.
- Entries cannot be altered or changed after they have been submitted.
- On the entry form please supply story title, name, postal address, phone number, email address and word count. It is important to state to which section you are submitting.
- Entries must be submitted by email by midnight on the 30th September 2020. Submissions are open from 25th July.
- Include the entry form and story as attachments. They must be Word documents (that is, .doc or .docx). Do not include your name on the manuscript. Please put ‘short story competition’ in the subject line and indicate which category you are entering
- Entries should arrive no later than 30th September 2019.
- By submitting an entry the writer grants the Wellington branch of NZSA the non-exclusive rights to publish the work in an anthology or other collection if it is placed. We may too choose to publish short listed entries. NZSA Wellington will hold rights to publish for 12 months from the end of the competition.
- The judge’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The results will be announced in early November and published on our website. Only those short-listed will be individually notified.